FLAcyclist.com Forum Index
FLAcyclist.com
South/Central Florida ultracycling.
Reply to topic
Clermont 400k (March 11, 2006)
prestonjb

This weekend i did the 400k (250 miles) BREVET in Clermont Florida this weekend...

Here is my recollection of the event...

BTW go to http://www.tinkerjuarez.com to find out who Tinker is

On Feb 11 there was a 400K BREVET in Clermont.

There were approx 40 people doing the brevet. A pretty good group.

We started at 4AM from the Holiday Inn in Clermont. Approx 1 mile out one guy stopped climbing a small hill when his chain fell of and trashed his wheel or something... All I remember hearing is something that sounded like a hacksaw slicing up a carbon frame or wheel... Really nasty.

I decided to take the front on the way out of town and with my new HID light I was able to cruise comfortably along at 22mph in the dark. After a while the group dwindled down to approx 8 guys...

A little while later I noticed there was a 9th guy who was sitting approx 20 yards behind us and continued to sit there even when we were doing 24+ mph... This will mean more later...

There was ONE bad incident when we came to a bridge around twilight. It was a very short bridge with concrete sides but wooden base. Also the wooden base had two raised places approx 4 feet wide that I guess was designed to beef up the bridge due to car traffic.

Unfortunately this tuned out to be a VERY bad thing for bikes. These two places were parallel to our travel and my friend Tom hit one of these on the edge and this caused him to careen to the other side where he almost gained control of his bike but then his front tire came off the rim and down he went.

At first things did not look bad as he was awake and alert and only looked to have some gravel rash on his arm. We thought his bike was broken until we found that the tire had come off the bead a bit and once we fixed that the bike was rideable. After that we lo! oked at his arm. He could not see it but there was a deep cut and I was 99% sure he would not be able to continue since we were only 50 miles into a 250 mile ride. We were also in the middle of no where. There was a store approx 10 miles up the road and fortunately he was OK to ride so we headed for there.

At the store I called the coordinator of the ride and told him about Tom's injury. Tom finally got to see it and decided that it was true that he wound not want to continue the ride. Esp. from risk of infection if nothing else.

At this point we all introduced ourselves as we hung around (all except a guy named Tim who I called the Lone Wolf)... He kept complaining that his legs were cooling down. I told him to pretend he was descending a mountain in the Alps that was 12 kilometers long and take it easy but he left anyway... Lone wolf...

Another guy who had an interesting name was a guy named "tinker". Tinker was the guy who! was "following" us at 20 yards back. I asked him why and he said he was just watching how we do this... I thought perhaps he was just trying to keep away from us during the night part but I also thought this guy was really strong because I knew that though I was pushing us at our current pace (before the crash) that I could not do that effort solo!!!

There was also Boris (Pofig) and Heinrich (Daine1) and three other guys. After we were sure Tom was OK we were getting ready to head out when what I call "Larry's group" pulled up... This was not a control but some of them stopped anyway for a bio-break...

OK so we took off and this time Tinker rode with our smaller group. We passed a few of the stragglers from Larry's group who did not stop and eventually were at the front (though Lone Wolf was still up there some place). Eventually we went through a rotation and when Tinker got to the front the pace picked up a bit. I was OK with it but! after a few moments I saw that the second guy had let him go off the front... Well OK whatever... After my buddy Tom's crash I wasn't in much of a mood to track down lone wolf... I suspected that was what Tinker was thinking...

Anyway I eventually moved back to the front and picked up the pace and noticed that I was matching Tinker's pace. So the guy in 2nd spot was deliberately pulling long and slower? Or perhaps he wasn't much longer for this pace anyway...

Well when we got to the next set of turns Tinker slowed to read his map... I just let my GPS steer me (GPS is still saving my arse around these faster guys)... And Tinker once again joined us. Eventually however the slower guy and his friend dropped out. And to my surprise another guy we caught from our original group! He had kept going after we stopped at the gas station with Tom to make sure he was going to be taken care of when we left.

We made it to the next co! ntrol and met Lone Wolf who was taking a small break. I thought perhaps he would join us but he stayed to his anti-social ways and left just as we came out the door.

I decided to change my outfit a bit and apply some more sunscreen now that the sun was full on. Tinker and another guy didn't want to wait... Tinker was for sure trying to catch Lone Wolf and the other guy said we would catch him up...

So the remaining 3 guys took off and we did catch the other guy but no Tinker in sight... Ah well I thought... Two lone wolfs...

So we rode around to the Suncoast Parkway where it turned out to have a nice tail wind and I would pick up the pace and do several intervals at 24mph or more. I could see the guys getting tire, esp. Boris was looking bleak so we toned down the speed a bit. We got to the lunch stop but because Mike took Tom to the hospital there was no lunch. The control was just an out and back from the picnic area so we went to contro! l and bought some crappy sandwiches and ate them at the picnic area....

Just as we were about to take off Tinker shows up... He said something like "Man I got sooo lost!!! I'm happy to see you guys!!!" There was a support person at the picnic area and she needed some help trying to understand where Mike was going to be so she could get Tom to the hotel and Mike could get us a proper lunch.

The "Larry" group showed up to the park right as we were leaving... I wanted to skunk them but getting the directions right for the coordinators (really so I could get a good lunch) was more important... We did leave before they came back from control. Tinker decided that he was going to stay with us for the rest of the ride... There were now 5 of us and during the rotations I started thinking... Tinker... Tinker... Why does that sound so familiar? There's this guy something like Tinker Juarez who is a mountain biker... I was just reading ! about him... What was that... Something about he was going to do RAAM or something about a strong showing in the Furnace Creek 508 (miles) Race? I remember the picture of him now. A fairly dark skinned guy, I think, and with Dreadlocks... Hey wait, this guy I'm riding with has Dreadlocks... NO! Wait... Yea I bet it's him... OK so now I broke formation and moved up next to Tinker and asked... Hey are you Tinker (and in my crappy Americanees I said geraez instead of 'warez')... that famous mountain bike racer? And he politely corrected me and said Juarez and Yes I am". Cool!!! I'm riding with a celebrity! We chatted a bit about who he was and how I figured it out and then we turned back to the ride at hand...

We made it up to the next control in a mad headwind sprint through the rollers just west of the Withlachoochee trail where this one guy (Dennis (there were two of them)) decided to launch down every hill and I ! would pull hard up the next one and pass him... This eventually caused Boris to blow up and I saw that I was pretty far ahead though I could see that Tinker was taking a bit out of me over every hill. After the control we found that Mike had made it to the next park and was setting up the food as we came to it. We stopped and had a nice lunch and talked a lot about various things. Capping off a wonderful afternoon of riding...

Boris was cooked however... He decided to wait for the "Larry" group. We are now down to 4 guys and headed up the Withlachoochee trail. It was a 20 mile stretch with a control at the tip. We cruised up there pretty quick though at one point my rear tire blew out... This was caused by an incident early in the morning when someone stopped too quickly at the end of the Gen Van Fleet Trail and I locked up my rear... Now the tire gave out and popped. Fortunately I had a spare tire... Unfortunately I did not ! change from my TT wheels I used on the 24 hour race and when I tried to replace the tube the valve extender failed... Fortunately Heinrich had a Schrader adapter that just did fit and my pump could fit it and then we were back on the road... Whew!

At the top of Withlachoochee there was a lot of pleasant talk about this and that as we approached the control. At the control I starred at the candy bars looking for something called "Instant Power". I guess they don't make that yet so I settled for a snickers bar.

As we headed south on the trail the winds were a bit noticeable and the other two guys Dennis and Heinrich were starting to feel the miles. I could tell esp. when Dennis got to the front as the pace was sneaking down from 22 to 20 and then high 19s. Tinker made a comment about knowing that your toast when you start to wonder how many hours are left... (He really was hammering to catch Lone Wolf but when he got lost he also wasted a lot of! energy to catch back up to us).

OK well for some reason I decided that we were going to save this drive so I pulled up to the front and brought the speed back up... After a few miles of that I pulled out and the pace slowed down but I think Tinker figured out that I was tying to keep the pace higher and he moved around to the front and pulled next. He was still gunning stronger than me as several times I would take my turn at the request of the others just so we would go a bit slower (or they would have to drop). This worked really well and we kept doing this nearly the entire rest of the trip! When we got back on the open road I even remember pulling out and going to the back... Tinker was there and I got behind him and we sat there for a bit I think talking about a driver who blared his horn at me when I was dropping back (there was traffic so he couldn't pass us anyway but he had to make sure we knew his horn worked)... Anyway after talking ! about traffic and riding in the area vs. riding in my area of South Florida I noticed that Dennis was falling off the pace at the front again and I turned to Tinker and said "Hate to say it man, but I think it's your turn to pull again." He nodded, looked over his left shoulder for cars and pulled up to the front... Again we were back on track...

We kept this up to the last control before the hotel... There we brought out our night riding gear and took a bit of a break and then took off for the last 40 miles... Tinker and I kept up taking turns at the front with Dennis and Heinrich in tow. This worked until we got to the hills near Clermont. I could feel it in my legs as I was pulling at the front over this little rise... I just felt like a 10 mile freight train trying to climb over a pass in the Rockies! I think Tinker or Heinrich said something like "We made it to the hills!"

After a few of these bumps into Clermont we worked ar! ound to Cherry Lake Rd and Heinrich died climbing up the rollers. We decided to stop and let him stretch his legs... Then we set a slower pace to climb out together.

Before leaving Heinrich had a hard time climbing out and over to the road on the North side of Lake Minneola so we stopped and waited for him. It took him a while but he came over.

When we got into town and started to head out to Hospital Hill I think Heinrich started to recover as I didn't change my climbing speed, slow and steady, but I was surprised that Heinrich was never very far behind over these steep hills.

And that was it... The BREVET started late and my GPS said 16:08 hours so I think we did it in less than 16 hours!

It was a cool ride. We all shook hands and said some parting words. It was cool to meet Tinker and Riding with Heinrich again was nice. It is a shame that Tom wasn't able to ride with us but I hope to ride with Tom on the 600k....
400K - Clermont
joe.fritz

My 400K Brevet started out okay but went from okay to bad rather quickly. I'm the rider that slipped a chain going up the first small grade out of Clermont. It did sound like a "hacksaw slicing up a cabon frame", fortunately though, my frame is an allow of some sort and can stand some hacking. I pulled over fearing the worse. Riders rode on with the usual words of encouragement, "Need any help?". "You okay?". Yes and No... do you have an extra bike, size 56 you want to loan me. Fortunately, Mike was not too far behind the group. He pulled over and we got to examine the patient under an operating table, two van headlights. The chain had slipped between the freewheel and the spokes. Wrapped around it twice. It pulled my front deraileur off and bent the hanger. Fixable, if I can get the chain loose, I can always take the front deraileur off. Not sure about the wheel and the condition of the spokes. They looked pretty chewed up. Mike puts on his leather welding gloves. Mine are already on. We both pull on each end of the chain. Nothing gives. We stand up and pull again. I almost fall over when my hands slip. We get out two screwdrivers. I pry, Mike pulls. Mike says he has never seen this before. I agree. This is not working. No freewheel tool to bust it loose either. Tools are all over the road, somewhere so are my glasses. Finally, I tell Mike I have an extra set of wheels back at the hotel. If he will take me to the hotel, I will start all over with another rear wheel. We have a plan! Mike's van is crammed full of stuff. No room for the bike. I get in, we close the door and Mike hands me my bike. I ask, "How far are we from the hotel?". Not too far, 4-5 miles. So off we go with me holding on to my bike outside the car door. Stay in the middle of the road, I tell Mike. I would hate to cream a mailbox or tree with my bike and me not be on it. Fun is fun. We go about 3 miles. I tell Mike he has to stop. I'm about to drop my bike. We rest a minute. We get back to the hotel and I get to work. Never really thought about quitting. I get a new wheel on, an old chain, remove my front deraileur, and give it a spin around the lot. It's grinding and I will have to ride in my big chain ring for a 400K. Nice. Not too bad. I tell Mike I am heading out. It's about 5:15. Get to the bottom of the hill and my Schmidt-Dynamo hub quits working. I want to call it something else. Great. Ride back up the the parking lot. Take a look. The electrical connector from the light has broken. The hits just keep on coming I thought. I'm beginning to talk to myself now. You can do this Joe, just don't loose it. You've had worse luck than this. Remember there is plenty of time. 27 hours is alot of time. I get out my tool box and go to work. Put another connector on and it feels good; the connector here, just so no one misunderstands. I spin down towards the back of the hotel. It last a total of 100 yards. Okay forget this light. You still have your back-up light. I go to the hotel lobby to see if I can find Mike. He is walking out as I am walking in. Mike, I'm heading out again. I will only call you if something really bad is wrong. I head out again. The time is 6:15. No worry, everyone has been on the road for two hours. Some are already at the first control. I can still catch some people and I have 25 hours now to do the ride. It's doable. I have seen enough of this parking lot. As I head out, I can see some chain links, wire, and spare parts on the ground. Finally, I can ride. It really was a nice day to ride. Started to wonder how everyone else's rides were going? One thing about a late start, it gives you time to think and you set your own pace. I'm confident I will catch some people before the ride is over. Mike pulls up to me later and tells me someone went down on the trail and has to be taken to the hospital. Who is it? Tom he said. He drives on. I wonder how many Tom's there are in the ride. Hopefully, he can ride but does it does not sound good. See Joe...things could be worse. I tell myself. Sometimes I rode hard and sometimes easy. Different than riding with a group. In a group, no one will outright complain much. They usually just suck it up and ride. Think it's an ego thing. No one wants to let the other person or the group know there hurting. I'm not hurting and try to ride consistently. To make a long story short, I did finish the 400K and longer than some of my other 400K's. I did catch some riders and enjoyed seeing them and riding with them to the finish. The moral of my story...you can almost always finish a brevet if you don't give up and stay positive. Was glad to hear that Tom was okay except for the stitches, and I did find out his last name!
With the aid of others
tjordan
Site Admin

Exiting the bridge and struggling to regain control, I quickly scanned ahead for smooth tarmac to aid my recovery, but my headlight punched only a 3-foot diameter hole in the pre-dawn darkness giving me a tantalizingly incomplete picture of the road surface. Grass, dirt and sand rolled into view on the left-half of the light patch. That could only mean I was heading off the left-hand side of the road. Still somewhat off-balance I eased back to the road, mindful to avoid overcorrecting. That was my last erect thought. BAM! I was on the ground.

The surprising thing was, with the inky darkness of this wooded back-country road obliterating all visual references, I had no idea that I was about to hit the ground in the moment before impact. The sense-of-falling alone must be too subtle to act upon, or even notice, under these circumstances. So, without any preparation I hit the ground on my right side with powerful blows to the hip and bare forearm. My arm landed on the roughest road surface I had ever seen. Illuminating it with my helmet light revealed what appeared to be jagged 2-inch rocks partially cemented together.

Despite serious pain in my arm and hip, my immediate concern was my bike. The only problem appeared to be my front wheel. At first I thought the rim was bent, but with the help of the other riders we determined it was just the tire bead rolled out of the rim. It just had to deflated and re-inflated. Pumping the tire increased the pain in my arm, so I asked my friend John Preston to pump it for me. It was then I noticed the large blood stain on my hand, jersey and shorts where I had been holding my forearm. Others noticed it too and asked to see the wound. Their winces told me it was serious, but having not seen it myself, I was still hopeful of finishing the last 210 miles of this ride. Since we were out of cell phone coverage and the bleeding wasn't too bad, we rode 12 miles to the next convenience store. Along the way I felt fortunate to be with this group of riders who helped me get back underway.

There in the bathroom mirror I saw it for the first time, a ragged and deep Y-shaped 6-inch long laceration to the bone. With that one glance, I knew this brevet was over and my concern shifted solely to medical treatment. Upon closer inspection my friend Boris and I saw bits of road dirt and dried grass in it. I feebly splashed water on it. But the debris held fast, stubbornly clinging to the mucus coating the exposed bone and muscle. Boris bravely dabbed Neosporin on it. In retrospect, I am not sure that helped much, but it made me feel better at the time. Above all I really appreciated his "Florence Nightingale" compassion and concern.

Meanwhile outside the store, John called ride organizer Michael Grussemeyer to come to my aid. He was about an hour away and had just finished helping another rider, Joe Fritz, fix a mechanical problem. With nothing else to be done, I asked John, Boris and the other riders to enjoy the rest of their ride. While I waited in front of the store, an elder man approaching the store saw my blood stained clothing and asked what happened. After a brief explanation, I showed him my arm. He shook his head and said he hadn't seen anything like that since his time in Vietnam. He offered to take me to the Lakeland hospital just 8 miles away, but since Michael was on his way I opted to wait for him. For the third-time this day I was struck by the compassion of others as this man stood beside me in the parking lot until Michael arrived.

What a relief it was to see Michael's van pull-up. We loaded my bike and headed to the Lakeland hospital with directions from the kind Vietnam vet. We planned that he would drop me off at the hospital, provide lunch to the other riders at the pre-designated spot about an hour away, then come back to pick me up. However, Michael decided to stay with me after it appeared that I would be fast-tracked. But progress sputtered and lurched as various hospital folks briefly visited my room then inexplicability disappeared for 20 to 30 minutes. Meanwhile Michael and I chatted. I found it a great comfort to have him there.

The doctor said the risk of inflection is very high with deep lacerations, particularly dirty ones associated with bicycle accidents. However, the light bleeding in mine was really helping her clean it well, as bleeding makes it hard for a physician to see all the foreign matter. Cleaning took about 20-minutes; fortunately the local anesthetic deadened the pain so all I felt were tugs and pushes in the wound area. Finally I was sewed up with 9 internal stitches and 15 external. Remarkably, I had no loss of function or feeling in my hand and fingers, and no infection later occurred.

This experience taught me the importance of being surrounded with good people either by chance or plan. Could I have managed to gather myself after the accident and get to the convenience store without them? Probably, but not if it had been any more serious. Could I have managed to get my bike and I to the hospital and back to my car at the starting location without Michael? The fact is you can never know in advance when you will be suddenly and utterly dependent on the aid of others, or when others will need you. But I can say with certainty that in times-of-need even the smallest acts of aid and compassion are greatly appreciated.

Guru

di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478
di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478
di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478
di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478di478
valauthe
Guru

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
valauthe
Guru

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comkinozones.rulaserlens.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ruspicetrade.ru
spysale.rustungun.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ru
leadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.ru
majorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.runameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.ru
nationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ru
observationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.ru
packedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.rupapercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.ru
partfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ru
radialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.ru
rearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.rurectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.ru
reinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ru
screwingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ru
tacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.ru
telescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.ruultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.rujobstress.rujogformation.ru
jointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.rujournallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.ru
keepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.ru
killthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.ru
lactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.ru
lamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.rulanguagelaboratory.ru
factoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.ru
gangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.ru
gaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.rugeartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.ru
getintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ru
hailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ru
handradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ruhangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ru
hartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ru
heavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.ru
valauthe
Guru

vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk
vkvkvkvkvkvkvkvk